Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Holiday Letter from Amber












Happy New Year! This is Amber here. I thought I would write a quick holiday letter on Dean’s blog, since I have neglected writing my own. Anyhow, I will give a brief rundown of 2008’s travels and new developments in our life. This year, we went to Boston for a conference in March. It was nice to see the city and fun to have Dean come along. We visited a brewery, went to a market, ate Italian food and visited Harvard’s campus for a nap in the sun. We also wanted to see a lot of family across the country before heading to Uganda. So, we went to Dallas for my 31st birthday to celebrate with my grandmother, who turned 91. She stole the show! We also went to South Carolina to see Dean’s sister, Kelly, her husband and their son, Derek. It was a great visit. We went to Charleston and took a carriage ride, we drank a beer from the oldest brewery in the United States, and we spent some quality time just catching up. In July, we also went to Sweden for Cissi’s 30th birthday. It was so great to take Dean to Sweden, since it is a very special place for me and holds a unique spot in my heart. Cissi had a huge party in a tent overlooking the lake, where her family owns several ‘stugas’ or cottages. Truly amazing…and the sun dipped below the horizon for about 2 hours, then was up again! We stayed up all night and Dean played guitar for everyone. We also visited Uppsala to see the oldest university in Sweden and visit the garden of the fella who invented the two part naming system for plants. Then, we headed to a wedding of a friend of mine in Missoula. It turns out that the woman he married is a dear friend to my dear friend’s sister! So, I got to see Kristen Malone and surprise her in Missoula. And then we headed to Uganda in September and October…..We have also done a bit of moving around here, the capitol, to Rwanda, Queen Elizabeth National Park and to Lake Bunyonyi. This year I also experienced two firsts: I flew a Cessna airplane for the first time and I dug clams and oysters for the first time. Both were invigorating. I recommend both! But, as I reflect on this year, I am thinking primarily of all the support and love from friends and family that make our lives possible and bring magic and joy to us. We would not be living this dream in Uganda if it were not for each one of you being there along the way. A lot of people really pulled together for fundraising during our last months in Seattle. People also came together to wish us well and to let us know they are behind us. And, we think about your contribution to this stage in our life every day. Happy New Year!!! We love you!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Golly we miss you both! Thanks so much for making the time to share some of your adventures with us back here in mellow, snowy Bellingham. The Malones were together in Seattle for X-mas (including J. Craig and the newly named AnthonyMalones - Kristin will be excited to be mentioned in your blog) and it was very relaxing and fun.

I think of all three of you often and am very interested in a mailing address for you. Your book list looks great and I'm wondering if you need some additions. There are a few books I've read this year that would be good compliments to the ones on your list. Can I send you a some? A moon calendar? Where does one post items to Dean(& Amber) in Africa.

Loving you, missing you and wishing you the happiest of New Years!