Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Bzzzzzzzzzz


For the first time since 1993 I paid for a haircut for myself. I’ve been a DIY haircutter ever since I moved out on my own. My last haircut was from my Mom’s friend Forrest’s salon in Pioneer Square and it was just before I graduated from art school (I wonder what happened to that guy?). I’ve gone through 2 electric clippers since then. I decided not to bring them to Africa just for a change. They didn’t seem to be nervous about cutting muzungu hair so I wasn’t nervous either. I sat down in the barber’s chair and said “make it all one length please”. The barber pulled his clippers out of a contraption labeled “Super Afro Sanitizing Machine” and got to work. The people in the salon stared at me while Amber took photos. It wasn’t long before it was clear the guy wasn’t going to cut it all one length. I’m not sure what happened during the conversation when I said “make it all one length please” and the barber said “okay”, but he was clearly working on a fade. I’m not vain about my hair, a big reason why I always cut it myself, so I decided to be quiet and just see what happens. This guy was very into his work. He took a lot of care getting the fade just ever so smooth. He outlined my sideburns and hairline around my temples so they were clear and sharp. He sculpted a little poof front and center. And he gave me a flat top. Thanks, I think. Actually it’s not bad. It’s just been a really long time since I’ve had an actual “haircut”. Does this mean I need products? All in all I will go back to him. The only part that struck Amber and I wrong was at the end when going to pay they wanted to charge us 10,000Ush. The sign on the wall said “Haircut 3,000Ush”. Amber points to the sign “what do you mean?” They say that’s for black people’s hair. But muzungu hair costs 3 times the price? We offered 5,000Ush and left.

2 comments:

Martha said...

Dean I want to see what the Buzzz looks like, where's that picture?
I loved your update on the year Amber my gosh it was full wasn't it. Merry Christmas to you both and DOG, look forward to hearing about your Christmas.
Love Mom & Rob

Martha said...

Dean,
Still waiting for that letter all about your Xmas. Thank you both for remembering my B Day, it was nice and the snow is gone so we could get out and about. I wor the lovely necklace on my birthday got lots of complements, bought some earrings to go with it.
Love Mom