Friday, October 3, 2008

Gone Daddy, Gone! Gone to Uganda!

In less than a week I'll be unpacking in my new digs in Mbarara (look it up on Google Earth or Wikipedia).  My last few days have been totally full of moving out of the condo, running the cat to the vet and to the airport to get preapproval on his crate, closing bank accounts and wiring money, buying a few "can't do withouts", driving to Olympia to get the cats export paperwork signed by the USDA veterinarian, finishing the kayaks and a few other projects, moving out of the shop, etc. etc. etc.  It's a lot of work to take a complicated lifestyle apart and put it away let alone prepare for and move overseas.  My parents lived in Japan before I was born.  They had their dog shipped over after they got there so they could be there to pick it up.  But the dog came into the wrong airport and they had to take a taxi for several hours to get it.  That's just the kind of luck I have.  Something like that is going to happen to me I just know it (and as I write this Amber's voice comes in my head saying "it happens because you think it's going to happen" or something to the effect of).  I sure hope I get all the T's crossed.  The I's dotted too, don't forget the I's, Dean, it'll be really hard to dot the I's when you're in Uganda.  

I'm ready, though.  I'm ready for the next thing in my life.  For the next phase.  It's time to switch it up.  I keep hearing this talk about change, real change, and I guess it soaked in.  Amber has been there before so she knows what to expect.  I, however have no idea what it will be like.  No expectations.  I find that exciting.  Discovering the best place to get whatever it is we need.  The best combination of clothing to wear.  Which restaurant has the best food (i.e. won't give you traveler's diarrhea) .  Where can one find the coldest and cheapest Nile Special Lager.  What the locals like to do for fun.  What's important and what doesn't really matter in a meduim sized town in the middle of Africa.   And mostly I'm excited to see how this whole experience will affect and change me.  Yeah!! Uganda here I come from Seattle, USA!

So, Friends, here's where you'll find me for the next while.  Thanks for checking in and do come back again.  I'll have lots of spare time so i expect to keep the frog up to date.  Here's a few informative websites if you want to learn more about Uganda:

http://www.radiouganda.com/

http://newvision.co.ug/

http://www.africa.upenn.edu/Country_Specific/Uganda.html

I don't know much about these things but my friend Charlie says you can setup a deal with Google to send you an email every time I write a new entry.  How convenient.  That Google makes life so much easier and complicated at the same time.  I mean, how the heck do you set that up?  Where do you go to learn about that?  Ask Charlie I guess.

1 comment:

Ms. Clean said...

Nice Frog, Dean! I'm so glad you'll be posting and keeping in touch. You're going to have an amazing time, given who you are and your open attitude. I'm looking forward to getting to see your pictures and hear about your experiences there. Travel safe! to you and DOG.
~Allison